Skip to main content


Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

The MacLaren Mill. (Photo - Matthew Farfan)Farmers depended on the grist mill from the earliest days in the 17th century. During the French Regime, the seigneur was obligated to build a mill for the use of the habitant. Early English-speakers had to depend upon local entrepreneurs to provide them with a facility to grind their grain.

The MacLaren House, overlooking the mill. (Photo - Matthew Farfan)The first mill on this site was established in 1838 by William Fairbairn on the La Pêche River leading into the Gatineau River. [David] MacLaren bought him out. The mill operated until the 1970s, and is now owned by the National Capital Commission. [It is now home to an upscale inn and restaurant].

Editor’s note: This text has been modified slightly from the original.