Skip to main content

SHEENBORO (SHEEN, ESHER, ABERDEEN & MALAKOFF)

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Sheen, Esher, Malakoff & Aberdeen
Irish people who emigrated to Canada in the 1830's to escape the potato famine and religious persecution were for the most part the settlers of Sheenboro. Some set up homes in the area of McGillvery Lake because there were washouts caused by the spring floods near the Ottawa River.

Sheenboro was incorporated in 1855 and Thomas Harrington was the mayor. The townships of Esher, Malakoff and Aberdeen became part of Sheenboro in 1869. Later in 1960, Aberdeen was annexed to the municipality of Rapides-des-Joachims.Famous as a place where travelers and transporters going to Rapides-des-Joachims broke their journey, Sheenboro retained the character of being a little corner of Ireland. The store and hotel built by Michael Hayes in 1870 still exist. A store built in 1907 now supplies the people of Sheenboro. A parish church, St-Paul the Hermit was instituted in 1872 after the original church was destroyed by fire.

Nearby Fort William is a historical site. In 1829, it was a established as a Hudson's Bay post and was an important trading post for many years. When the first post office was established in 1848, Allumette Lake took the name Fort William in memory of William McGillvery, the first postmaster. Today one can still see the factor's house, the blacksmith shop and the Church. The Hudson Bay Company sold the place to James McCool in 1869. Its beach has become very popular in the summer.