Skip to main content

Trivia Quiz: The Papineau Family and the “Petite Nation” Seigneurie (Answers)

Version imprimableVersion imprimable

--February 21, 2019.

1. c. His sister in law, the wife of Denis-Benjamin Papineau. Her name was Angélique-Louise Cornud, and she had donated land on which the parish church and rectory were built.

2. a. Denis-Benjamin Papineau. Though it was his father who had originally purchased the “Petite Nation” seigneurie, Denis-Benjamin Papineau administered the region from 1808 to 1845. He would go on to become the joint Premier of the Province of Canada for Canada East from 1846 to 1848.

3. e. a and b only. Denis-Benjamin Papineau established the second post office in the Outaouais after Hull’s. He would be the “Petite Nation” seigneurie’s first postmaster from 1826-1853. The mill he built brought around the settlement of tradespeople and craftsmen into the area that would become Papineauville.

4. b. Henri Bourassa.

5. d. Algonquian.

6. b. He needed to focus more on his career in politics. A strong advocate for French Canadian rights who sat in the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada, Joseph Papineau had attempted to retire permanently from politics in 1804. Due to greater threats to French Canadian influence in Lower Canadian political institutions in the early 1800s, he was solicited by his former constituents in the riding of Montreal East to return to politics in 1809.

7. a. He provided logging rights in the seigneurie to a nearby Ontario logging company. The rights were provided to Thomas Mears, an American lumber trader based in Hawkesbury, Ontario.

8. d. $20. Asa Cook was paid by the government. He would go on to become a justice of the peace and first mayor of the “Petite Nation” municipality in 1845.

9. c. National Bank. The previous post office, serving also as the postmaster’s home, was demolished before the bank was built.

10. c. Telephone office and general store. This particular post office closed May 31, 1940.

11. d. Red cedar. There were over 3,500 workers building the resort at the peak of the project.

12. b. Lester B. Pearson. Le Château Montebello was opened to the public in 1970 after it was taken over by Canadian Pacific Hotels.

13. c. Papineau got to know him during his exile to France.

14. b. Samuel de Champlain, who first arrived in the region in 1613.

15. a. 8 days.

16. c. The “Petite Nation” River was not straight enough for logs to flow down easily. Instead of being able to float their logs down this river and onto the Ottawa River, loggers had to move their logs to several points of sale at which they received lower prices than expected.

17. e. b and c only.

18. b. NNM had established one of the first sawmills in the Outaouais in 1809. By the 1920s, regional softwood reserves had begun to dwindle. The sawmill was sold to Gatineau Power which planned to dam the Petite-Nation River. However, the rock bed under the river’s rapids was not solid enough to support a dam.

19. a. It is located at the crossing of two rivers and was thus ideal for trading. Evidence of this activity, dating back over 8,000 years, has been found in the park and was left by various Indigenous peoples of the Outaouais region.

20. e. a and c only. Lt.-Colonel Joseph Bouchette, at the time Surveyor-General of British North America remarked how the region’s oak wood in particular was of excellent quality and how it was sufficiently large to be optimal for ship building.

*Duncan Crabtree, a History student at Bishop's University in Sherbrooke, interned with QAHN in 2019.