--January 17, 2012.
A group of historical museums and heritage interpretation centres in the Outaouais just launched the Outaouais Museum Network (OMN) / Réseau muséal de l’Outaouais (RMO).
The OMN will meet the needs of this community of museums and heritage interpretation centres which are dispersed across the vast territory known as Region 07 and which all suffer from severe under-financing. The OMN is a non-profit organization composed of member museums. Its mission is as follow: “support, promote and represent the interest of its members, i.e. the museums and heritage interpretation centres located in the Outaouais. The Outaouais Museum Network is born from its members and will accomplish itself through its members. It is a multilateral network based on mutual recognition”..
“Without any intention of financial profit for its members,” the network has agreed to the following objectives at its first and constitutive meeting:
1. Bring together in a voluntary and flexible fashion the museums and heritage interpretation centres located in the Outaouais,
2. Set up a stable partnership among the museums and heritage interpretation centres,
3. Provide a better regional dialogue and cooperation among the Outaouais museum organizations,
4. Favour cooperation between museums and heritage interpretation centres,
5. Facilitate the exchange of information,
6. Promote solidarity and mutual aid between Outaouais museums and heritage interpretation centres.
The organization is already registered with the Quebec Registry of Enterprises (Registraire des entreprises) and it currently represents 8 member museums in Gatineau and in the four Outaouais regional municipalities (Pontiac, Les Collines-de-l’Outaouais, La Vallée-de-la Gatineau et Papineau). A website, which will be enriched over time, is already on line; one can consult it at the following address: http://www.reseau-museal-outaouais.ca
For information: Richard M. Bégin, (819) 684-4275 or (819) 665-8993.