Skip to main content

Recently added items

Below is a list of all the recently added content, ordered from newest to oldest.

(Map)
(Source - Guide touristique 2005-2006, Vallée de la Gatineau)
(Image)
The Paddy Fleming ferry on the Cantley side of the river. In Kirk's day, most ferry services were on the west side of the river. By the early 1900s, however, Fleming was ferrying west bank residents to the blacksmith shop and grist mill in Cantley. Ferry traffic was heaviest at train times. Among those seen in this photo are (probably) assistant ferryman Jack O'Connell, the man in the white shirt holding the oar, and Minnie McAllister, who is shading her eyes with her hand. --Gatineau Valley Historical Society
(Image)
The man in the white shirt is pulling the scow along the elevated cable and the man behind him appears to be adjusting the chain. People in this neighbourhood would whistle for someone to come an get them in the ferry, or they would take a rowboat across the river to bring the scow back. --Gatineau Valley Historical Society
(Image)
Levi Reid on the scow at Farm Point. Reid "always wore a gold earring." --Gatineau Valley Historical Society
(Image)
A family bathing party at Blue Sea Lake. A horse scow may be seen in the background. (Photo: E. M. Kindle) --Gatineau Valley Historical Society
(Image)
Seen here are John and Herbie Caves, each with an oar in hand. The horses, left to right, are Teddy, Daisy and Maude. According to William Caves, the current was never so strong that a cable was needed. This scow continued in use up until about 1940, and seems to have been the longest one running on the Lower Gatineau River. --Gatineau Valley Historical Society
(Image)
Photo - William H. Carre, Artwork, Ottawa
(Image)
Photo - The Low Down to Hull and Back News
(Image)
Note the log boom, tug boats and old lighthouse. (Photo: Grant Watson)
(Image)
Three men may be seen standing on log booms.
(Image)
This view is taken in front of John Sweeney's store and post office in Old Chelsea, January 27, 1929. --Gatineau Valley Historical Society
(Image)
Just off the train at Kirk's Ferry, these skiers are reday to ski to Camp Fortune, Pink Lake, and Hull, followed by a streetcar ride home. Pictured here are Marg (May) Gilmour, Monica (O'Halloran) Green, and Marky (Lambe) Gisborne. --Gatineau Valley Historical Society
(Image)
Pictured here are Marg (May) Gilmour, Monica (O'Halloran) Green, and Marky (Lambe) Gisborne. --Gatineau Valley Historical Society
(Image)
The Lockeberg Ski Jump at the Ottawa Ski Club's Central Canada Ski Championships, held at Camp Fortune in 1949. Pictured here is a jumper named Laferte who jumped 146 feet. --Gatineau Valley Historical Society
(Image)
An advertisement for this bus company read: "Complete Transportation Service for Skiers to the most popular trails and hills with ski tows: Dome Hill, Lemay's, Mountain Lodge, Canyon Trail, the top of Beamish Hill, Chalet Chamonix..." --Gatineau Valley Historical Society
(Image)
Left to right: John Bergeron, Art Tommy, Andy Tommy, Dave Gill, and Jim Soame. This photo is taken behind Camp Fortune Lodge. --Gatineau Valley Historical Society
(Image)
Cross-country skiers. --Gatineau Valley Historical Society
(Image)
Looking east from the hill above the Peerless Hotel. Pictured here is Ella Mae Wilson. --Gatineau Valley Historical Society